Notes On Pride and Preachers

by Colin Adams on February 19, 2013 · 10 comments

in Articles

Pride is a problem for every “son of Adam.” But lets be frank: it is a peculiar peril for preachers. Not only are we ‘leaders’, with all the potential kudos that entails; but we are ‘preachers’, in some cases standing quite literally above the congregation in preaching God’s Word.

Even in a small church, our life is lived under a kind of spotlight. In some cases people may hang on the very words we say. The potential for this inflating our readily-proud hearts is enormous. If a pastor appears “successful”,  the potential for inflated pride increases even further. Equally, but more subtly, a pastor’s pride can be “wounded” in a difficult or discouraging ministry.

So how can we battle against our own pride? What follows are some “briefing notes” on pride that I’ve recently developed for my own soul.

Understand The Main Inducers To Pride

Inducer #1 – The Flesh.  Pride springs from my own sinful nature.  This means I am quite capable of feeling proud with no external coercion, manipulation or temptation. “From their callous hearts comes iniquity; the evil conceits of their minds know no limits” (Psalm 73:7). Therefore, CS Lewis was correct when he wrote:

“If anyone would like to acquire humility, I can, I think, tell him the first step. The first step is to realize that one is proud. And a biggish step, too. At least, nothing whatever can be done before it. If you think you are not conceited, it means you are very conceited indeed.”

Inducer #2 – The World.  The Apostle John tells us that the world is a proud place: “For everything in the world—the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does—comes not from the Father but from the world” (1 John 2:16).  We can still see the proof of John’s words two millenia later. Successful sportsman, business people, politicians and entertainers all unashamedly talk up their own greatness. It is hard to stay humble in a world that is dripping with the honey of pride.

Inducer #3 – The Devil.  Even as Christ is the trailblazer of humility, so Satan is the trailblazer of pride. The devil is full of himself. Paul warns against elevating a young convert too quickly, in case he fall into the same pride and punishment as the devil (1 Tim 3:6).

Observe Some Common Evidences of Pride

I assume that I will battle with pride until the day I am called heavenward. But the following symptoms are usually indicative that pride is ‘in the ascendancy’ in my heart:

- I feel pleased with myself when I receive good comments about my ministry.
- I fish for compliments, even using feigned humility to draw them out.
- I feel crushed at any form of criticism.
- I begin to harbor a critical spirit towards other pastors, or members of my congregation.
- I no longer feel my own need for the Word of God. God’s Word is always for someone else.
- I do not allow anyone else to minister to me.
- I feel capable and sufficient for the work I have to do.
- I talk often to people about my successes in ministry; I hide the failures.
- I never say sorry.
- I stop thanking God for everything.

Adopt Powerful Remedies For Pride

1. Consider the attributes of God, especially His holiness, and become undone (Isaiah 6).

2. Remind yourself daily, and especially on the Lord’s Day, that the Lord hates pride (Prov 6:16-17).

3. Ponder regularly the promise that the Lord gives grace to the humble (Prov 3:34).

4. Meditate long and hard on the humility of Christ and his death for you (Philippians 2:1-11).

5. Remember that all you have is a gift of grace (Eph 2:8, 2 Tim 4:6). “What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not?” (1 Cor 4:7).

6. Decide as a matter of principle that you will never seek the high places in life – “Do not exalt yourself in the king’s presence, and do not claim a place among the great men. It is better for him to say ‘come up here, than for him to humiliate you before a noble man.” (Proverbs 25:6-7) Also very quotable is Archbishop Leighton: “Be ambitious to be unknown.”

7. Stop being a self-publicist – “Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; someone else and not your own lips” (Prov 27:2).

8. Be accountable, especially to your family, friends and elders – “For lack of guidance a nation falls, but many advisers make victory sure” (Prov 11:14).

9. Periodically give time to self examination (2 Cor 13:5, James 1:23-25, Romans 12:3). Ask yourself hard questions about sinful actions, thoughts, words and motives. Ask the Holy Spirit to convict you of unconfessed sin and then drag your sin to the foot of the cross.

10. Make it a constant practice to boast about Christ and His cross. “May I never boast about anything, except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ” (Gal 6:14).

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

John Smuts February 21, 2013 at 1:10 am

This is gold Colin. Thank you.

A genuine question – how does remedy 7 (stop being a self-publicist) fit into our modern world of social media? Isn’t a blog, by definition, a form of self-publicity?

Colin Adams February 21, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Hi John,

That’s a thought provoking question! “Isn’t a blog, by definition, a form of self-publicity?”

I can understand the sentiment behind the question because a lot of social media is self-aggrandizing. Nonetheless I think I would have to answer your question “no, not necessarily.”

I would understand self-publicity to mean, “publicizing material about oneself with the express purpose of eliciting the admiration of others.” If that meaning is correct, then I don’t think we could say that all blogs are self-promoting by definition.

Let me give you two concrete examples of blogs that are positive:
1) A believer on a mission trip writes a detailed blog about their 2 years in Peru to inform members at home and encourage their prayers.
2) A mature pastor writes a blog on the subject of strengthening Christian marriages because he has a heart for strengthening Christian marriages.

Why are these blogs being written? Ostensibly, they are written for the glory of God, the encouragement and teaching of fellow believers, and for promoting prayer.

Now, is it possible for these two blogs to mutate into a hunt for self-glory? Absolutely. But then the same could be said for any form of communication (personal conversations/letter writing/even preaching!). The issue is not the mode of communication, but the character of the communicator.

My own simple approach to online media is this:
* Ask before posting anything, “WHY am I posting this?”
* Try not to write much about yourself, and if you must, be humble
* Pray that the Holy Spirit will reveal any pride that is lurking in my heart
* Repent of any known instances of seeking self-glory

John February 21, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Thank you. This was worth reading and helpful.

Erik Raymond February 21, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Very, very helpful Colin. Thanks for the timely kick in the rear.

JohnM February 21, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Yes, good points,except for “I feel capable and sufficient for the work I have to do.” I would rather my pastor did feel capable and sufficient. Otherwise either the job is too much and that needs to be addressed between the pastor and the congregation, or else the pastor needs to honestly ask himself why he is the one doing the job. If a pastor thinks being a pastor necessarily amounts to so very much that no man can possibly be capable and sufficient for it, that might be one more symptom of pride.

John Smuts February 21, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Thanks Colin – I think your four bullet points at the end are the basis of a helpful new blog post about how to use online media … one that is much needed in the blogosphere!?

I wasn’t posing the question because I thought there was anything wrong with blogging but rather pondering on how social media are, I think, more prone to this abuse than other forms of communication. It is not an either/or thing but more of a spectrum. There is a subtle difference between (for example) preaching and blogging – when you preach you have been called by the church to do so, the gathered congregation turns up expecting to hear you preach God’s Word. Most social media work the other way round – I assume I have something to say to the world.

BTW That is one of the things I appreciate most about ‘Unashamed Workmen’ – the way you seek godly input from elsewhere.

Keep up the great work!

Colin Adams February 22, 2013 at 12:02 pm

John M,

I wonder if it would bee helpful to distinguish between being “qualified” for ministry, and being “sufficient” for ministry?

It seems that what you are talking about are the character qualifications (eg. self-controlled) and competency qualifications (eg. able to teach) that are per-requisite to being a pastor-teacher. True, your pastor should be “qualified” for the ministry.

But this does not mean he is “sufficient” for it. Even the Apostle Paul felt personally insufficient for the ministry which God had called him to. Yet we do have sufficiency that comes from God. By God’s Word and Spirit we are able to perform a fundamentally supernatural ministry.

Brian Wilson February 26, 2013 at 11:57 am

Very good article and helpful discussion in the comments section. I was reading a good chapter on this yesterday in Paul Tripp’s ‘Dangerous calling;. Thank you very much.